Friday, April 1, 2011

Do you need a spanking?

You may be “justified to use non-deadly force against a child under 18 when and to degree the actor reasonably believes necessary to discipline, or safeguard or promote child's welfare.” This was found searching for spanking laws in the USA. However, that law only applies to parents in Texas. I failed to find one set law for spanking within learning institutions for all the states that still permit spanking. That is probably due to the fact that there are more and more stipulations put on schools’ spanking policies everyday to please an increasing number of lenient, force-free parents. Everything, nowadays, is giving children options, letting them do as they please, and leave misbehavior to parents that still may only give the option of “no laptop, or no phone?” as punishment. I believe there is nothing wrong with discipline in any form if it doesn’t threaten to hospitalize the wrongdoer. Still, there are many different opinions and ongoing debates on the concept of corporal punishment in schools.
Only a week ago, on March 26, there was a protest in New Orleans against an archbishop who “had called on school officials to abandon the 60-year practice” at St. Augustine High School. The protestors were supporters of corporal punishment in schools, similar to me. Yet, their reasoning for it is out of “respect for the school’s history and traditions.” My reasoning for it is when a child has seemingly lost their mind and has overly disrespected the teacher, a classmate, or the school, a simple sit down in a quiet classroom after-hours or a call home to Mrs. Lenient does not serve as a proper way of discipline. (And since when was it wrong to discipline a child as seen fit, instead of as much as they are willing to accept and comply with?) Besides that, most people see spanking as outward swatting with a belt until you think they’ve learned a lesson. It is usually only 1 or 2 smacks with a paddle and most of the time the punisher is supervised to make sure they don’t step outside of those bounds.
My support for spanking comes from my own experience in the childcare field. I witnessed a 7 year old spit in a teacher’s face because he had to “take a break” (nicer way of saying “timeout”). The teacher’s reaction was, “why did you spit in my face? That’s not nice. Now go take a break while I call your parents.” Fail. That child is likely to do that once more if their only punishment was a few, not-that-harsh words. What will kids become if they’re only given easy punishments because someone is always ready to sue because their child didn’t agree with the punishment served? It doesn’t necessarily have to be spankings that are used as a harsher reprimand, but reverting back to the days before me is the only solution that comes to mind.

2 comments:

  1. In one on my colleague blogs "Do you need a spanking" he talks about a specific disciplinary technique; more specifically spanking. He talks about how people in New Orleans try and get schools to abandon their 60 year old laws. I want to say that I completely agree with you on this piece. I can say this because im a nanny, with nine years of experience. And the difference in behavior in the children I watch completely fall back on the discipline the parents practice at home. The children who got spanked were 100% pure angles, and if they messed up I would correct them once and then that was it. But the children who got put in time out tended to be a little more hard-headed and far more disobedient than the spanked ones. Then there was the ones who's parents just talked to the children and wow they gave me HELL. So in all honesty I don't have a problem with spanking either, because thats the only think that seems to work. So until someone can prove me wrong then my views wont change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also see nothing wrong with an old fashioned spanking to keep a child in place. This world is changing every day. In my opinion the youth are losing respect for the older generation. Children don’t care to listen to parents or teachers anymore. The older these kids get, they think that they are running the show. I’ll admit some of these older kids don’t need spankings, but rather an old fashion ass whooping.
    I have no children, but parents need to “change” their parenting ways. Letting a child cry their eyes out in public; because you said “NO” is disrespectful and annoying. This is a perfect example of when the child needs a spanking. I was a summer camp counselor and witnessed firsthand bad behavior. For example, the class bully would not listen to a thing I was telling him, he then threw a ball at my face. Stunned and furious the only thing I could do is put him in timeout. To me timeout serves no purpose, the child gets time alone to think about what he or she did-eventually the child will act out again. When parents let kids get away with murder, they are setting them up to fail in life. The child will repeat the bad acts because they know nothing will happen. Mom and dad will not always be there to bail them out when they get in trouble, and when that time comes-it’s time to face reality.

    ReplyDelete