Friday, April 15, 2011

Re: We Need To Try Harder

Two weeks ago from today an article was written by a colleague of mine in regards to our ever-changing and seemingly failing education system. He expressed his disappointment in his former, idle classmates, the school system in its entirety, and failed attempts -by schools- at keeping students in check in able to bring in larger checks. Irritation was also seen in his expression of the truth that inadequate teachers are allowed to continue to influence our futures because of the seniority system. His stance on the future of our country continued on to say that “our educational system is going to need some changes if America wants to stay on top of the food chain.”
I share his views on the betterment of education as I’m sure any American that cares to receive more than a high school diploma would. Still, what puzzles me is that congressmen, with advanced degrees, would be in favor of cutting funds for education. Who would they propose to take their seats one day? The kids who were actually present in their high school government class, or the students that -on the government’s behalf- were also able to receive advanced degrees? If you know what kind of brainpower it takes to run a country, why would you lessen the standards for teachers and schools and cut the resources for the people that will have to run things when you are no longer able to? Through all of this I assume that the response I’ll receive is to deal with the hand I’ve been dealt. That hand is old and, I suppose, a little insensitive and money hungry so I will accept what I have now because, lord knows, it will only get worse before it gets any better.

No comments:

Post a Comment